Blue Streak Ignition points - Spitfire

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, british-cars@autox.team.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blue Streak Ignition points - Spitfire
From: cwnicholls@juno.com (Clark W Nicholls)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 16:19:46 PST
Cc: cwnicholls@juno.com
Andy et al, (Andy - I'll look over here if you want... Last time store no
longer with us...)

The Blue Streak Lubripoints I mentioned earlier for the Spitfires with
Delco distributors are part number DR-2236XP.

They are manufactured by the Standard Motor Products Inc.  Long Island City,
NY  11101

I must say that they are the BEST points I have ever experienced.  Sturdy
construction and excellent spring metal that translates into "they will still
work after a winter in storage being compressed in the points-open position in
the distributor".  I've had other points that wouldn't work
after a winter storage due to the spring loosing the ability to close
the points!

Main body is copper with steel spring and copper strip along side the
spring steel to carry the ignition current to the points contact.
Insulation appears to be bakelite at the base end and plastic to the
points contact.

One of the contacts is drilled thru to "ventilate" the contact.  The
construction is such that the contacts stay aligned.

When I crewed for a GP Spitfire in the '70s these were the points we used.
This was before the days of solid state ignition systems.  I remember
our local motor sports club "beta" testing a CD system for Sprague
Electric, which is a local company (still have it in the loft of the
garage).

They also have a felt block that rubs the distributor cam.  An enclosed
vial of lubricant is applied to the felt and keeps the cam lubricated
and clean.

Last time I purchased (>5years ago, since I always have spares and they
are special order) they were about $15, I think.