Re: Spit intake/exhaust manifold problems

To: cleblanc@austin.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Spit intake/exhaust manifold problems
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:13:18 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
cleblanc@austin.ibm.com wrote:

>  I bought a monza header from TRF.  First off, the
> pipes and the flange aren't flush.

 after installing the header, I'm not getting
> a good seal and have exhaust blowing out around the head.

  Does anyone
> else have experience with these headers.  Do I need to grind them down?
>
> Chris,

    I used to own a '78 Spitfire (during'86-90) and I had installed a
Monza "Quick Trip" header on it. I recall the same lack of "quality con-
trol" in the alignment of pipes to flange. What I did to ensure a good
seal was to file the pipes even to the flange. DO NOT GRIND WITH A MACH-
INE!! If you use a grinder, you WILL create an uneven surface for sealing.
However, if the pipes really are protruding, a small amount of grinding
may be necessary in the vicinity of the pipe end. It is imperitive that
you refrain from grinding the flange.
   While I mentioned I used a file, I feel it important to elaborate. The
file used should be held completely flat on the surface. This will ensure
that no "digs" are filed into the surface. While you file you will begin to
see where the high areas are. Keep going until all the area on the flange
shows evidence of file marks, indicating an even surface.
   The header I installed on my car never leaked in the twenty-something
thousand miles I drove this car. The chrome blued out in a month, though.
 This just goes to show, a little hard work before hand pays off in the long
run.

>  What
> is the point of running the water through the intake manifold?  Does this
> heat up the manifold and help in cold weather or something?

 Yes, I am pretty sure this is the reason why this is done

> Also, does the intake manifold need extra support?  It seems like a lot of
> metal just hanging off the side of the engine.

While it may seem like a lot of weight, the intake is attached by many bolts.
It is also pretty thick aluminum and quite strong, also it is unstressed, so
the only thing that must be supported is its own weight, which isn't really
that much.

                                  JOE IV
                                  TR 250
                           WALLINGFORD, CT. USA