Re: What is "Triumph World" Like ?

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is "Triumph World" Like ?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:11:21 +0400 (EDT)
OK, my turn to put my foot in my mouth! :-)

Having been a devoted fan of the Triumph marque since I was five years
old, now -- 38 years later (omigosh, that means Andy is -- OLD!) I
applaud the long overdue attention to the marque being given by a
dedicated magazine.

Triumph has a long and proud -- if occasionally checkered -- history
dating back to around 1923 (as a car, and further back if you wish to add
in the Standard nameplate, circa 1903), much of which is centered NOT
around just sports models and NOT just around what is currently most
prevalent at American Triumph club meets.

Frankly, the production numbers add up to one simple fact: in volume, the
"family" cars far outnumber the "sports" models in total sales worldwide.
And, for the most part, it was sales of the saloons, and the mechanical
bits used to build them, that made most of the sporting Triumphs possible
from both an engineering and cost viewpoint. The Spitfire being little
more mechanically than a short-wheelbase Herald, the postwar Standard
Vanguard engine evolving in different directions to become useful not
only as a tractor engine but a tolerable sports car engine, the entire
drivetrain of the original Standard 8 evolving in various ways to become
everything from a TR owner's favorite 2.5 liter six-cylinder engine to
the differential gearing found in some TR7s. And there was that immensely
popular Herald front suspension design that Colin Chapman and a few other
1960s designers liked well enough to use in various road-going and
ultimate racing (Formula One) designs.

It is not surprising that "Triumph World" has a decidedly British slant
to it, both in what they choose to feature and how they compose text to
describe those features. As an historian/librarian/Triumph fanatic, my
biggest problem with this magazine is that it is only bimonthly and
that there often isn't enough in each issue to keep me happy. I don't
think it is extraordinarily expensive compared to similar types of
magazines.

I don't necessarily disagree with the criticisms others here on the list
have offered. In defense of TW, however, I would suggest that the
magazine is still young and will slowly but surely find its "mission";
as that happens and as more folks read, I'd like to think that they will
expand their focus somewhat to include more and more information and
focus beyond the British Isles and indeed the "Commonwealth." I'd also
like to see more coverage of Standard automobiles, in that so much of
what we postwar Triumph fans adore is firmly rooted in Standard models
(see above).

To some degree, it is probably our responsibility (the "our" referring to
those of us primarily in the USofA) to contact the editor and suggest
that more attention be paid to events and people and cars in this
country, one of Triumph's best markets over the years. What we really
have in the US, though, are only about four major groups of organized
Triumph people, VTR, TRA, 6Pack and the TR7/8 folks. In Great Britain,
there are at least that many choices just for "owners of Phantom
Grey/White Herald Coupes with optional Witter Tow Bar and starting handle
kits fitted -- but not the optional walnut fascia and door cappings -- in
the Midlands". ;-) [NOTE to UK list members: the preceding was a joke. No
offense intended. I realize the group I described encompasses members far
beyond the Midlands.]

So, anyway, to summarize: TW could be better in some respects. Some
journalists might spend less time whining about whatever; there might be
more features on the "big TRs"; unabashed praising and worshipping of
Heralds might be limited to, say, 10-12 pages per issue; there could be
more substantive U.S. coverage.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for issue #10 of Triumph World. The above
is based on my reactions to the first 9 issues. Until it comes, I'll
just hide under my pile of used exhaust manifold gaskets, trying to
escape the flames I have now further fanned. ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *