Brake Problems

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Problems
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 23:35:27 -0600
Encoding: 30 TEXT
For those keeping track I am still having problems bleeding the brakes on my
car. I received a number of replies to my last question regarding the inability
of my bleeding attempts to obtain a satisfactorily firm pedal. Thanks for the
good suggestions so far, although I am not ready to give in and buy a new
master cylinder just yet (thanks to Rodney Orr for this suggestion based on
seemingly the same problems I am having).

I will also inspect the flexible hoses to see if there is any evidence of them
expanding under pressure (Jim Davis gets the credit here).

Well I had a closer look at the VTR description of the PDWA assembly on the TR6
and lo and behold I noticed it states that the center portion of the housing
into which the switch goes is supposed to be dry. A closer look at the diagram
of the cross section reveals that indeed the O-rings are supposed to keep the
switch opening dry. Well in my case, when I removed the switch, there was
definitely fluid in there (I now recall wondering why the fluid didn't just
shoot out since the reservoir is well above the level of the PDWA housing - I
guess it didn't connect then that maybe what I am looking at should be dry!).

Any chance that the leak in the PDWA could be preventing me from achieving the
firm pedal I so desperately seek? I should mention that the leak seems very
minor in that there is no fluid leaking outside the PDWA housing only some
minor seepage into the central chamber of the housing itself.

As usual thanks to all replies!

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
peterz@merak.com