Re: Brake Problems

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Problems
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 06:01:49 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> For those keeping track I am still having problems bleeding the brakes on my
> car. I received a number of replies to my last question regarding the
>inability
> of my bleeding attempts to obtain a satisfactorily firm pedal. Thanks for the
> good suggestions so far, although I am not ready to give in and buy a new
> master cylinder just yet (thanks to Rodney Orr for this suggestion based on
> seemingly the same problems I am having).
>
> I will also inspect the flexible hoses to see if there is any evidence of them
> expanding under pressure (Jim Davis gets the credit here).
>
> Well I had a closer look at the VTR description of the PDWA assembly on the
>TR6
> and lo and behold I noticed it states that the center portion of the housing
> into which the switch goes is supposed to be dry. A closer look at the diagram
> of the cross section reveals that indeed the O-rings are supposed to keep the
> switch opening dry. Well in my case, when I removed the switch, there was
> definitely fluid in there (I now recall wondering why the fluid didn't just
> shoot out since the reservoir is well above the level of the PDWA housing - I
> guess it didn't connect then that maybe what I am looking at should be dry!).
>
> Any chance that the leak in the PDWA could be preventing me from achieving the
> firm pedal I so desperately seek? I should mention that the leak seems very
> minor in that there is no fluid leaking outside the PDWA housing only some
> minor seepage into the central chamber of the housing itself.
>
> As usual thanks to all replies!
>
> Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
> 76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
> peterz@merak.com

I've missed a few of the email responses as well as the original but
here is a little note.

A fellow member of the Delaware Valley Triumphs has had a 2-year brake
problem with his system. After bleeding pedal would be hard and then a
day later, soft with no lose of fluid.. EVERYTHING on the entire brake
system was replaced new! Finally, after 2 years of going crazythe
master cylinder was again replaced with a new unit. Finally the brake
system worked properly. It seems after talking to his favorite parts
supplier(who will remain annonymous) There was a run of bad master
cylinders and he originally had purchased a bad brand new master
cylinder.

Good luck,
--
Lenny Seidman