Re: Chrome valve covers

To: rbaugher@naplesnet.com
Subject: Re: Chrome valve covers
From: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 09:58:41 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, stag@mailgate.wizvax.net
Robb Baugher wrote:

> Has anybody got any suggestions on chroming valve covers.  My car is out
> of commision for a while and I pulled the valve covers off this pm and
> cleaned them up.  They look a lot better, but I can't help but imagine
> how cool they would look if they were chromed and polished!
>
> I would imagine it would be somewhat expensive, but if it would hold up
> for a long time I'd love to do it.  So where would I go to find out
> about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Robb Baugher
>  73' Stag
>  Marco Island, FL, USA

Robb,

I've seen many "show" Stags with chromed covers; the '68 TR-250 and I
think some early '69 TR-6's came with one stock.  Your local plater
should be able to do this for you; chroming steel is not that difficult.
They'll need the covers for a while; you'll make friends if they're
clean already, but you don't need to remove the paint.  Standard chrome
plating should be all you need to stand up to valve cover temperatures.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it!

Jamie