Re: Compression Tests

To: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Subject: Re: Compression Tests
From: guido711@ix.netcom.com (Edward M. De Reyes)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:48:55 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dear Jeff:

I received very usefull information from this very newsgroup when I
wanted to compression check a TR-6 that I was looking to buy.  I'll
pass it on to you:

1) You can rent a compression tester from a rental yard (the type that
rents tables, chairs, backhoes, trucks, party supplies, etc.).  Call
around for prices and availablity in your area.

2) Try to check the compression when the motor is cool.  This keeps the
oil from bathing the cylinder completely, and gives a more accurate
picture of leaks or compression problems.

3)  Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap to keep the motor
from starting.

4) Pull the spark plug on the cylinder that you want to check, and
screw on the compression checker.  Make sure that the compression
checker has:
    a. A rubber washer around the cylinder screw-in "nipple"
    b. There is a tight seal (not too tight) but hard hand-tight

5) Crank the motor (or have someone crank the motor for you) several times
until you get the maximum psi reading off the compression guage.

6) I don't have the exact factory settings for the compression, but I seem
to recall a reading of about 120 or 125 psi to be about right.  You might
want to check this figure, though.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  Please double-check my compression figures, and
good luck.

BTW, I haven't had any "Mail Failure" messages, but then again, Netcom
hasn't solved their mail problems yet....it's a miracle that I get any mail
at all!!!

VTY,
Ed De Reyes
'74 TR-6