Plastic things on throttle?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Plastic things on throttle?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 06:44:31 -0700
Jeff Stovall wrote
> Yes, that's right, I'm about to embark on rebuiling my Stromberg
> carbs. I'll get the rebuild kits eithier tommorw or the next day. One quick
> little qestion: there are these platic things on the throttle linkages.
> What are they, how do I get them off,  << snip >>
The only 'plastic' thingies I know of anywhere nere the throttle linkages
are the  little ball and socket links and or the universal joints connecting
the shafts together.  In either case be very carefull not to break these, as
I believe they are no longer available.  My GT6 had the plastic throttle
links and they eventually broke.  (makes driving the car difficult)  You can
(and I did) replace them with the metal ball and socket type from the TR6.
The Roadster Factory carries them and they aren't terribly expensive.
Actually cheep insurance against failure on the road!  The other plastic
u-joints I think are unavailable, my car had the more desirable metal
multi-bend type-and no doing the rebuild doesn't take long, I did mine in a
couple hours.  If your carb's have a lot of miles on them you might also
consider replacing the needles as they do wear out-and do not disassemble
either the bypass valve or the temperature compensator (if you have these
although 66's shouldn't) as the settings are "factory" and I don't know of
any way to set them (anybody out there "been there done that") -
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+