Head Gasket Replacement

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Gasket Replacement
From: Dee Jackson <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 9:21:25 EDT
Fellow Spitters and other Triumphiliacs,

After the primo driving season is over I plan to tackle an oil seepage
problem on my car.  It is not a gross leak but, rather, a small seep
that appears to be coming from the back, left corner of the head, around
where the oil passage is from the block.   I only want to do this once,
if I can help it, so I'm turning to the collective wisdom of this group.

I've been advised that it's likely that the head will need skimming to
ensure a flat surface for sealing.  Is this normally the case?  If so,
and since the head's already off, should I go ahead and replace valve
guides and springs and have the valves ground?  A local shop gave me an
approximate cost of $150 USD for labo(u)r for doing this, including a
three-angle grind.  BTW, compression seems o.k., 130 lbs. on all 4 cyls.

I've also been told that head gaskets vary in quality between manufacturers.
How does one tell a "good" gasket from a "bad" one?  Is there a recognized
"best" gasket?

Lastly, while most I've talked with recommend putting the gasket on "bare"
(the gasket, not me), Kipping says to use Hylomar (sp?) around the oil
passage opening.  (This may make sense since that's where my leak seems to
be coming from).  I assume Hylomar to be some sealing material, but I've
never seen any here in the States.  Is there an Americanized equivalent,
copper spray, perhaps?  Should any sealant be used?

Thanks for any advice y'all can provide.

Dee "hoping I don't have to use the rope trick" Jackson

'78 Spit FM90204UO

--
dee_jackson@gilbarco.com    Gilbarco Inc. Greensboro, NC    voice 910/547/5007