Re: Head Gasket Replacement

To: Bill Munts <muntsb@HiWAAY.net>
Subject: Re: Head Gasket Replacement
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 21:19:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, Dee Jackson <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Dee Jackson wrote:

               ~EDITED FOR BREVITY~

>  I plan to tackle an oil seepage
> > problem on my car.  It is not a gross leak but, rather, a small seep
> > that appears to be coming from the back, left corner of the head, around
> > where the oil passage is from the block.
> >
> > '78 Spit FM90204UO

             ~BILL M. REPLIED~

> Hi Dee,
>
> When I rebuilt the engine for my '70 MkIII Spit I had the head surfaced.
                   ~SNIP~
> however mine leaks an ever so small amount of oil at the left rear corner.
                   ~SNIP~

>  Oh BTW the
> deck of the block was surfaced too.  I'm not at all worried about the leak, at
> least I know oil is making it that far :-).
>
> Good Luck
> Bill M.

Dee,

    The same thing happened to me. I discovered a slight oil "seep"
on my '78 Spit...AFTER I had rebuilt the engine! I had the head machined
.125" so I knew the head was true. I didn't have the block "decked"
though. The leak was minor so I wuold just keep washing the oil off with
gunk at every car wash time. I wonder if this is a design flaw with the
Spit oiling system, like the oil passage way being too close to the
edge of the block...
   Keep in mind that you are considering a fair amount of work to stop
a small leak. But the choice IS yours...good luck.

                          JOE IV
                          TR 250
                   WALLINGFORD, CT. USA