73 TR6 Vacuum Hose

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 73 TR6 Vacuum Hose
From: bill <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 12:10:02 -0700
Paul Burr in an earlier posting regarding vacuum lines running to a
switch on the top radiator hose of his 1973 TR6.  This was the first year
of that type of device.  As many can remember, 1973 was a tough year for
just about all auto makers to meet emmission standards, including
Triumph.  A vacuum source is tapped off the carbs/maifold to the switch
position marked "C".  Position "D" goes to the retard unit on the
distributor.  When a specified tempature is reached, vacuum is cut to the
retard unit allowing the engine rpm's to increase to combat rising engine
heat caused by that year's emissions equipment.  There is also a position
on the switch that is not used.

TR6 engines as a whole unit will swap easy enough--you didn't mention
changing transmissions, did you?

While I'm here, I've used POR products with mixed success.  My 280Z, a
real ruster, has been treated with mixed results.  And there is a solvent
that POR sells that will remove the stuff before it dries.  I've painted
over my treated areas with no problems at all.  Paint is still sticking
9 years later.

Bill Wood
Greensboro, N.C.