Re[N]: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[N]: What differential?
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 12:42:28 -0600
MJ>Tony sez:

MJ>     The ratio cannot be determined by the circumfrence of the tire in
MJ>     relation to the diameter of the drive shaft.
MJ>     [...]
MJ>     Sorry, I just don't see anyway you can determine the ratio considering
MJ>     the variation in tire sizes and the variation of non-stock drive shafts

MJ>Well, Tony, it should be fairly simple to come up with a basic formula that
MJ>will give you the needed factor to make this work.  All you need to do is
MJ>figure out how many revolutions the ring gear will make if connected, via th
MJ>axle, to a tire of diameter D that makes one revolution.  Similar reasoning
MJ>can give you a factor for a driveshaft of diameter d connected to the pinion
MJ>gear.

Mark,
 I guess I'm just dense or something.
 The "string" method would fail to take into account the number of teeth
in the inner pinion gear as well as the side gears.
 I suppose that in order to satisfy my density factor here, I'm going to
have to go out and try it since I know what gears I have. Then, if I
don't come up with the correct expected result, I will ask why.
 Hey, no question about which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a
pound of gold.
 Everything is relative to money. So.....
Best Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com