Re[N]: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[N]: What differential?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 02:57:22 -0600
Tony sez:

     The ratio cannot be determined by the circumfrence of the tire in
     relation to the diameter of the drive shaft.
     [...]
     Sorry, I just don't see anyway you can determine the ratio considering
     the variation in tire sizes and the variation of non-stock drive shafts,

Well, Tony, it should be fairly simple to come up with a basic formula that
will give you the needed factor to make this work.  All you need to do is
figure out how many revolutions the ring gear will make if connected, via the
axle, to a tire of diameter D that makes one revolution.  Similar reasoning
can give you a factor for a driveshaft of diameter d connected to the pinion
gear.

If you get stumped, there's another, similar problem I've wrestled with in the
past that may provide a clue.  Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a
pound of gold?  [That's the US of A pound, a unit of weight, not money.]

mjb.