Pfssst sound

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Pfssst sound
From: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 09:11:53 -0500
Had a local shop do a tune-up on my '73 Stag with the '73 TR6 engine
yesterday.  The mechanic said the valves were at about 50 so he adjusted
them to about 10 each.  Does this sound right??

He also said there is a Pfssst sound coming from one of the valves which he
diagnosed as an exhaust leaking past an exhaust valve that has some carbon
build up on it. Does this sound right??

He recommended I just drive the car for a week or so with the valves
properly adjusted and see if the carbon might clear up and the sound go
away.  Probably wishful thinking but sounds good to me.

I could tell there was something going on before the tune-up by noticing a
little roughness at idle and slight loss of power with a very subtle stumble
in the revs now and then.

Am I looking at a valve job Ya think???

lchillin@siu.edu

'73 STRAG