Re: Spitfire front brakes problem (& bearings too?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire front brakes problem (& bearings too?)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 06:16:57 -0700
>Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:33:38 -0400 Bob Sykes wrote

> I'm having a bit of a problem diagnosing my brakes.  One of my
> cars takes (too) much pedal pressure to get the car to stop.
> If I press the pedal *really* hard the left rear wheel locks up
> first.  It should be the front wheels shouldn't it?
No, all the weight in a stop is transfered to the front of the vehicle
typically causing the rear to lift (the front to dive) and the brakes to
lose their bite before the front.  Ideally, if the cars brakes are balanced
properly, all the wheels would lock at the same time and thats what
proportioning valves attempt to do in later model cars.  But in real world
conditions its almost impossible to achieve.

I have the same problem on my GT6+ (the extremely hard pedal), but I haven't
had time (what's new) to look at it!
  It's of my and several others opinion that the felt faces the uprights, or
away from the bearing-and thats the way I've always installed it.  Although
in twenty some years I haven't done it more than a few times, and never
because a bearing failed.  Usually because I was replacing a just restored
car, or upgrading the suspension pieces.
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net
63' Spitfire,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+