Teak dash

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Teak dash
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:06:02 EST
Comments: Authenticated sender is <dmericas@mail.limno.com>
Just wanted to add my $0.02 to the discussion about the pros and cons
of solid teak dashes.  This is one of the few technical areas where I
feel any sort of competance among this august group.

First of all, teak is extremely rot resistent, and hence its use for
boat trim, decking. etc.  If rot is what you're trying to beat, teak
is one of your best choices.  Mahogany ain't bad, and cypress is
right up there too.

Secondly, someone mentioned something about teak wearing out cutting
tools because it is so hard.  Well, the real reason is that it is
chock full of silica, and this dulls cutting edges.

Thirdly, although teak is very stable, it like all woods will move
(i.e., expand and contract) with changes in humidity.  I suspect
that this movement is not significant enough in a 7" wide dash to
make a difference.

Finally, IMHO, the motivating factor in choice of wood should be the
appearance that you are going for, not the ultimate durability under
the most severe environmental conditions.  Teak is a great wood, and
makes wonderful deck furniture and boat trim.  But, the look and
feel of these two example applications is very different from the
look and feel of British automotive woodwork.

Bottom line: it's more a matter of personal taste than ability to
withstand severe exposure.  For the money, I'd stick with a well-made
veneer dash on baltic birch or marine-grade plywood.
Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
1988 Saab 900S
1991 Saab 9000T