Re: Spitfire front brakes problem (& bearings too?)

To: S1500@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire front brakes problem (& bearings too?)
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:41:45

> BTW It looks as though I have installed my front wheel bearing
> oil seals backwards (felt facing the bearing).  The replacement
> bearing kits had the felt glued to the water shield.  The original
> ones had seperate felt pieces.
>
> I checked Bentley, Haynes (old & new), Restoration guide,
> TRF catalog, Moss Europe catalog and John Kipping's catalog.
> Now I'm really confused.  There are conflicting diagrams.
> (most show the felt facing the bearing IMHO)

Bob,

I looked into this a while ago, the felt _definitely_ faces the
upright, not the bearing.  The diagrams, certainly in the Haynes
manual are not that clear.  The best evidence is in the Practical
Classics spit 1500 restoration book, in this you get a good clear
colour photograph of the assembly. It makes sense as well, as Mark
says in an earlier posting, you want oil soaked felt, not steel
spinning against the upright surfaces.

Good luck with the brakes!!

Jonathan     Spit. 1500