TR6 - both front brakes dragging - new lines too!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - both front brakes dragging - new lines too!
From: "Mark Manasas" <MMANASAS@JJPRAYC1.SSW.JNJ.COM>
Date: 22 Jul 1996 08:45:08 GMT
Comment: MEMO 07/22/96 08:41:00
     SOL's,

     Need some help.  I just got "Tess" back on the road after doing a
     frame off started in October.  It was purely a mechanical resto,
     rebuilt motor, clutch, did some frame work.  Started her up last week
     and she cranked right up first try.  Motor is running great except for
     the front carb losing oil quickly from the dashpot, but parts are on
     order.

     Now for the question.  In my rebuild I replaced all the brake lines,
     flex included.  I even replaced the master cylinder because my old one
     was leaking like a sieve and a rebuild did not help.  I used DOT 4 and
     all seemed well, until I started to smell asbestos.  After I limped
     home ~ 2mi. I jacked up the front end and could not rotate either
     front wheel.  Back wheels turned fine.  I cracked a line at the master
     cyl. and everything seemed great.  the Pressure diff. light went on
     but I figured that was because of me cracking the line.  I re-centered
     the valve and all again was good.  Took her out for a long spin around
     the block and no sticky brakes.  I took her to get inspected this
     morning and made it there fine (~12mi) but as I was pulling out of the
     garage after she had sat for about 10 min I felt that old familiar
     hard pedal and sure enough the brakes started to drag again.

     Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.
     Mark

     mmanasas@jjprayc1.jnj.com