Re: TR6 - both front brakes dragging - new lines too!

To: Mark Manasas <MMANASAS@JJPRAYC1.SSW.JNJ.COM>
Subject: Re: TR6 - both front brakes dragging - new lines too!
From: Dave Mastenbrook <daveejay@peak.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:04:10 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mark Manasas wrote:

>      SOL's,
>
>      Need some help.  I just got "Tess" back on the road after doing a
>      frame off started in October.  It was purely a mechanical resto,
>      rebuilt motor, clutch, did some frame work.  Started her up last week
>      and she cranked right up first try.  Motor is running great except for
>      the front carb losing oil quickly from the dashpot, but parts are on
>      order.
>
>      Now for the question.  In my rebuild I replaced all the brake lines,
>      flex included.  I even replaced the master cylinder because my old one
>      was leaking like a sieve and a rebuild did not help.  I used DOT 4 and
>      all seemed well, until I started to smell asbestos.  After I limped
>      home ~ 2mi. I jacked up the front end and could not rotate either
>      front wheel.  Back wheels turned fine.  I cracked a line at the master
>      cyl. and everything seemed great.  the Pressure diff. light went on
>      but I figured that was because of me cracking the line.  I re-centered
>      the valve and all again was good.  Took her out for a long spin around
>      the block and no sticky brakes.  I took her to get inspected this
>      morning and made it there fine (~12mi) but as I was pulling out of the
>      garage after she had sat for about 10 min I felt that old familiar
>      hard pedal and sure enough the brakes started to drag again.
>
>      Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help.
>      Mark
>
>      mmanasas@jjprayc1.jnj.com

Mark, and company

Sounds a lot like a problem I had with my '74 Spit last month. Last winter the
front and rear brakes were rebuilt as was the mastercylinder. It ran well for
a hundred miles or so this spring, then one day it seemed like it was losing
power, until I smelled the front brakes cooking. I made it home and they
free'd up by themselves. It happened again once more and they came off by
themselves before making it back. What a difference when they released!

Advice I got locally was that I probably still had air in the lines. Since
then I tried to bleed them again, and I've taken it out a couple of times with
no problems (knock wood).

By the way. I just posted a message about Gunson Eezi Bleed and the fact that
their cap doesn't fit my '74 Spitfire reservoir (large cap). If anyone could
help me out in getting the correct cap I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave Mastenbrook (daveejay@peak.org)