Re: TR6 clunking noise

To: Pat Leask <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 clunking noise
From: John Bertsche <103136.3056@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 21 Jul 96 12:56:48 EDT
Cc: all <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pat-

if the U-joints on the halfshafts are shot, the driveshaft ones are probably bad
too.
If it was me, I would change them all. You might want to check into the pros and
cons of getting U-joints that have a grease fitting, rather than the permanently
sealed ones. It might be old-fashioned, but I like the idea of being able to
grease them once in a while.

It's been  a while, but I remember the job being a little more tricky than I
imagined.
You might want to purchase one extra U-joint in case you lose some of the little
rollers from the bearing (I did). Also, I would have bought a better set of
snap-ring
pliers. The flimsy ones I got were almost more trouble than they were worth.

I think it's not a bad idea to mark the driveshaft flanges and joints to get
them back together the same way. I don't remember if I did or not, and I had no
problems, but I've heard stories of mysterious vibration due to imbalance.

Good luck-

                                        jb