TR6 clunking noise

To: all <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 clunking noise
From: John Bertsche <103136.3056@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 19 Jul 96 19:51:05 EDT
Cc: Pat Leask <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Pat-

is it possible that your trailing arms are starting to tear their way out of
rusty cross members? You might want to have a close look at them,particularly
the forward-facing surface of the cross member, where the nuts tighten down on
the bolts holding the trailing arm brackets to the frame. That side of the cross
member is thinner steel than the other three sides and could be the first to go.

Or, you might have really bad trailing arm bushings or rear hubs. You can
probably narrow it down by having someone push the car hard in various
directions while you observe from underneath. You'll probably recognize the
sound right away when you hit on the right motion. If the suspension and hubs
are original I would guess there's some slop in there somewhere.

You said that you replaced the diff rubber, but have checked the diff mounting
points for cracks?

 It also occurs to me that you might have problems with splined hub adaptors,
assuming you have wire wheels on the car.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but there are a lot of possibilities.

                                        good luck-

                                                jb