Re: VTR a/x?

To: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: VTR a/x?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:43:24 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Silikal@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, R John Lye wrote:

> > Did the Hardly Boys Racing Team prove that 70's-era racing technology
> > is still able to hold its own?
>
> Well, the Hardly Boys had a bit of trouble, probably fuel-related
> but looked good while it was running.

Andy Hardly speaks:

John, thanks for the compliment. I did prove that the team was no match
for outstanding driving in a car slightly heavier and sporting about 90hp
MORE than I'm likely ever to see in the HBRS4. However, I was not too far
off the Dr. Bobwrench Spitfire, and might have come much closer if the
fuel had been able to keep finding its way to the carburetors.

I noticed during both first and second runs that I didn't seem to be able
to pull beyond around 6000rpm. The third run saw power progressively drop
off to a point that I had to park it about 60% of the way 'round the
course, then it died. Later it restarted, but a still later fun run ended
much like the third run -- I got all the way 'round, but it died at the
finish.

John suggested that fuel pressure might have fallen off. I've still yet
to check it, as the car remains on the trailer, probably until this
coming weekend. A small matter of a lost wheel on the Explorer tow car
set the family back a couple of days (good news: it didn't happen while
towing; bad news: happened to the wife; more good news: no injuries,
damage all minor, mechanical and since fixed).

We might just try something later this season to "redeem" ourselves;
meanwhile a trophy for third in the "under-prepared" class (boy, does
that seem ironically appropriate, Mark and Karen!) and 7th fastest
overall was enough to prove that a: I can rebuild engines with some
success; and b: camber compensators and Konis STILL RULE! :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *