Re: 3.27 diff

To: LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen <lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: 3.27 diff
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 01:20:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> I'm sorry if this has already been discussed in the thread, but is
> the 3.27 diff interchangable with the others in a Spitfire, I sure
> could use a higher gearing? ( no overdrive :(  )
>Peter, I am not positive (been many years since I owned a Spit), but I
don't believe gear sets are interchangeable between GT6 and Spit, but
the entire center sections are.  But, it's a reasonable question... why
go to a 3.27:1 in a Spit?  The acceleration would be abominable, and if
it's a later Spit, the engine is already so weak, and the torque peak
pushed up from earlier engines that you might never be able to reach it
in 3rd or 4th gear.  The 3.27:1 was adequate for road use in a GT6, but
the difference in available stock torque from the GT6 engine and the Spit
engine is considerable.
Cheers.