Re: Pulling the Crank Pulley

To: luchette@apple.com
Subject: Re: Pulling the Crank Pulley
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 17:51:30 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 9 Jul 96 11:46:05 -0000 - Todd writes:

>I have to pull the crank pulley on my '79 Spitfire to remove the timing
>chain cover(the mount for the chain tensioner fell off). The Haynes
>manual says "remove crank pulley"(sounds easy!).
-snip-
> but when I turn the nut to the pulley the pulley turns as well.
-snip-
>Any advice on how to get this thing off?

Todd,

There are a couple of methods that have worked well for me:
A large impact wrench (3/4" drive) will break the nut loose without
turning over the motor.  Another method involves a "special cool
tool" which I learned about on this list from Greg Meboe (ex- SOLer).
A "Vise-Grip chain tool" will hold that pulley and motor quite still
while you have at the large nut.  Using this tool is the only way I
know of to prevent the motor from turning (in-situ) while trying to
torque the nut to 175 lb./ft.

The 2 person [car in gear, brakes on hard while you twist at it] method
has not worked for me.  YMMV

Good Luck,

Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->