Re: Pulling the Crank Pulley

To: luchette@apple.com
Subject: Re: Pulling the Crank Pulley
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 22:08:17 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I have to pull the crank pulley on my '79 Spitfire to remove the timing
>chain cover(the mount for the chain tensioner fell off). The Haynes
>manual says "remove crank pulley"(sounds easy!).
>
>Well, I have the socket and ratchet, but when I turn the nut to the
>pulley the pulley turns as well. The manual also says to use a steel rod
>and hammer to pound the nut off, but on my car the nut is recessed in the
>pulley so that's not an option.

Todd,
 Most common method is to lock flywheel with pry bar or large screwdrive.
 Remove nut and use at least a 3 jaw (4 would be better) to pluu the gear
off.
 Pay close attention to the woodruff key so you don't lose it. Be sure it
is replaced when putting gear back on.
 Not that big of a job, but in this case, the right tools are a must.
Best Regards,
Tony
###