Re: Fiberglass Paint Removal

To: m22@skypoint.com
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Paint Removal
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 22:03:04 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I've been working with a friend of mine to strip, prep and paint his =
>fiberglass Lotus as practice for doing my 'vette.  I'm not new to =
>painting, but I *am* new to prepping/painting fiberglass.
>
>Anyway, we started doing some experimentation with paint stripping, =
>using a bodged (British Car-speke for a hack) hood scoop and my Eastwood =
>blasting cabinet.
>
>This car has like 4 layers of paint on it, and when we started stripping =
>this we could NOT get any type of decent paint removal, even with an =
>aggressive abrasives like aluminium oxide.
>
>So: what am I doing wrong?  Is the cabinet just not the same as using a =
>pressure blaster?  BTW, the answer can't be "take it and get it =
>stripped" because we do want to do this ourselves.
>
>Thanks!

Hate to sound like the "nay sayer" but the last thing you do is "strip"
fiberglass.

Fiberglass should be wet sanded out, most times, unless sanded all the
way to the glass, primer is not used.

Just prior to painting, wash with soap and water, and a green 3M Scotch
scouring pad. Rinse well, towekl dry and wipe lightly with a tack rag
before painting.

If you strip auto fiberglass down then it should be recoated with gel
coat of at least a fresh coat of resin to seal it and prvide a paintable
surface.

Maybe I missed the point of your question, but I cannot imagine wanting
to completely strip glass.
Tony
]###