Re: Tounneau Troubles - TR4

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tounneau Troubles - TR4
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 10:48:53 -0900 (PDT)
On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Christian Simonsen wrote:

> I finally pulled my new tonneau cover out of the box and threw it on that
> big hole where the seats are. I've bought the cover 2 years ago with the
> rest of the big reconstruction order, but after getting the car on the road
> last year, have just now gotten around to trying the fit.
>
> It doesn't seem to be long enough. Any one had any troubles with Robbins
> tonneau covers shrinking? or just plain being short.

Christian, obvious question here: is it the correct tonneau cover? Those
who know TR4s and TR4As might know better, but perhaps there is a
difference in tonneaus between the two models and you were sent the
wrong one. I know the tops are very different between the 4 and 4A, but
I'm not sure if the "depth" of the rear tonneau panel was altered at
some point because of that difference.

Have you talked to Robbins (or the vendor who sold you the tonneau)
about this? If you have not yet fitted any snaps or made other
alterations, it's possible they might be willing to exchange it. After
two years, it's understandable if they're NOT willing to do so, but it
never hurts to try.

I've had good experiences with Robbins products in the past. I doubt if
it would have shrunk over 1" in two years of "unuse"; I similarly doubt
you'd get it to stretch that much again.

Good luck.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *