Re: '73 Spit Shifter Help Needed

To: jbriggs@execpc.com
Subject: Re: '73 Spit Shifter Help Needed
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 96 21:51:32 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Hi All,
>
>I've been lurking for quite a while, but I need some help now.  I just =
>took the Spit out for only the second time this year (new job working =
>out of town doesn't leave much fun time).  Ah, the sun on the head, the =
>wind in the face, the smoke out behind....  She was running good, =
>driving good - still works well as a mosquito killer - and the gear =
>shift lever came loose in my hand while I'm shifiting into first gear at =
>a stop light!  The lever is still attached to the linkage so I was able =
>to find first gear and get away from the stop light and drive home at 10 =
>mph.  When I got home I figured out that it all still worked if I pulled =
>up on the lever, but when I let go of it the lever assembly falls down a =
>couple of inches.  The top cover is still there along with the two =
>springs over the shaft that the Parts Manual shows.
>
>I looked in the parts manual and the Haynes manual but I still can't =
>tell what is missing or broken.  I haven't pulled the tunnel cover yet.  =
>Does anyone have any experience with this that can tell me what to look =
>for?
>Thanks,
>
>John Briggs

>'73 Spitfire sitting in the driveway :(

John,
 You don't mention o/d or non o/d.
 Going from memory, there is no bolt or pin.
 The shifter is held in place with a cap which compresses the springs and
fits over two pins on the shifter support housing, then is turned slightly
to catch in the slots.
 Chances are all you need is what is commonly referred to as an
anti-rattle kit, which is a steel cup shaped disc and a nylon bushing as
well as the push on/turn slightly retaining cap.
 Doesn't sound like a major problem o/d or non o/d.
Best Regards,
Tony
###