Re: paint it or top it first?

To: EDDINSK@ncts.nola.navy.mil
Subject: Re: paint it or top it first?
From: Metwrench@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 23:06:45 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

<< I want a great paint job, a new top, and some interior stuff for my '79
spit
 ASAP.  The interior will be done by yours truly as soon as I get the parts,
 but the rest will be done by separate shops.  I need to know if I should
 have the top put on first or the paint.  Also, with either choice what
 should I do to prepare for the following event?  Example:  If I have it
 painted first, should I remove all the old snaps before I give it to them or
 have new ones installed?  If I have the top put on first, should I have the
 mounting surface for the snaps treated in some way? blah blah blah???

 More info:  the top will be vinyl and the paint will be base/clear and
 probably starting with the clean metal.

 Thank you guys for spending your time reading of my problems and
 questions.  Your letters and responses are always (when we have the
 time to read them) helpful to us who are less than experienced.

 Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I just got done with my  paint and restoration of my 80 Spit. I did all the
work, from frame to paint. How deep do you want to go with the body?
Restoration, Just color, Long term keep? Perfect? Cheap?  This is important
to consider when explaining some of your questions. One thing I had to
consider is Base/clear over original type texture Enamel <-- (A Lealand Paint
thing). I went with PPG Concept Single stage Urathane. Very hard and Durable,
Cheaper than base/clear, and in my opinion just as good. Plus, it does look
like very smooth enamel.