Re: paint it or top it first?

To: KEVIN EDDINS <EDDINSK@ncts.nola.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: paint it or top it first?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:58:32 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, KEVIN EDDINS wrote:

> I want a great paint job, a new top, and some interior stuff for my '79 spit
> ASAP.  The interior will be done by yours truly as soon as I get the parts,
> but the rest will be done by separate shops.  I need to know if I should
> have the top put on first or the paint.  Also, with either choice what
> should I do to prepare for the following event?  Example:  If I have it
> painted first, should I remove all the old snaps before I give it to them or
> have new ones installed?  If I have the top put on first, should I have the
> mounting surface for the snaps treated in some way? blah blah blah???

I don't think it matters much which you do first. Now, for what might
seem like painfully obvious advice:

Take off the old snaps before painting. It's not absolutely necessary,
but you'll get a better paint job, and chances are some of the snaps
need replacing anyway. They're available, and they're cheap. Do make
sure the body shop knows that the resulting holes should stay there and
NOT be bondoed over.

If you go first for the paint, please be sure to explain to the painters
that the rear part of the top can be entirely removed from the tonneau
panel with just two bolts, getting it completely out of the way. I've
been amazed over the years at the number of Spitfire tops with paint on
them because someone couldn't take two minutes to unscrew the two chrome
acorn-head bolts that hold the rear top rail to the tonneau panel. Not
to mention the fact that the area under the top doesn't get painted if
the top is left in place.

As I said, it sounds obvious; apparently it's not so obvious to some
painters! ;-)

When the car is done, it takes that same two minutes to refasten the
rear top rail, and shouldn't take more than about a half-hour to renew
the snaps (don't forget the ones on the door for the tonneau cover) with
nothing more than an inexpensive pop rivet gun.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *