Lucas L549 and L594 questions

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas L549 and L594 questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:11:12 -0900 (PDT)
My usually indispensable Lucas Master Catalogue 400E has failed me on
two minor points, so I'm hoping someone here can help with two questions.

The first question regards the lens for a Lucas L549 lamp such as used
for taillights for TR2/3, also some obscure BMC cars ;-), etc. Of
course, the lens normally is red plastic. But I have seen over the years
two other versions: one is all AMBER (not a sun fade situation here; I
possess ONE of these, and sun damage is NOT the case); yet another is
again amber but IMS with a RED reflex lens inside (much like the "clear"
reflector inside the normal red lens).

Does anyone have any idea on what cars or in what countries these amber
lenses might have been used? I find no mention of these variant lenses in
the Lucas Master Catalogue. Many years ago, I recall seeing these amber
lenses on one or two Jaguar XKs but I was not able to question the owners
at the time.

The second question is a bit sillier, but serious nonetheless. Does
anyone know where one would find a GREEN, glass, domed lens to fit the
Lucas L594 lamp (i.e., front and rear signal lamp for TR3A, etc.) It
appears that green lamps were used to mark the driver's side of cars
at, for example, Le Mans. If you have any of the Triumph histories, look
on the roof of the Spitfire GTs or on the RF fender of the TR3S. Or, if
you have the issue of _Classic Cars_ (May 1996?) featuring the Aston
Martin Le Mans car, you'll see this lamp again, over the driver's side.

Seems to me that if one were to attempt to build a "proper" Le Mans
replica, one would need such a lamp.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *