Re: a vitesse restoration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a vitesse restoration
From: Liquid@massey.ac.nz
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:15:46 +0000
Alejandro

I have a Herald and a Vitesse.  I have just started a resto of the former -
well I've begun pulling it apart!  The Vitesse is used as everyday
transport, but I would also like to restore this car at some stage.  These
are the books I've armed myself with:

1.       John Kipping spare parts catalogue
2.       Rimmer Bros. spare parts catalogue (they also have a web page,
"http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/"; and you can ask for quotes via email)
3.      Factory Vitesse spare parts catalogue
4.      Factory Vitesse  manual + possibly the Haynes manual or any other
aimed at the DIY mechanic
5.      Restoration guidebook - see below

The first two of these are available free (from the UK)and are useful to
tot up the approximate cost of the parts you will need.  Of course you may
be able to get most of what you need locally.  The factory parts catalogue
is not only useful for part numbers, but also the exploded diagrams of each
component - very handy when you've pulled something apart and can't figure
out how it goes back together!

I am aware of a  couple of guidebooks specifically dedicated to
Vitesse/Herald restoration.  One is published by Haynes and is called
something like "Guide to Purchase and DIY Restoration of Triumph Herald and
Vitesse",  one of the authors is Porter and it was published in the mid
80's.  The other one  is a collection of articles from the British magazine
"Practical Classics" that have been reprinted as a book.  I recently
ordered this one, but have yet to receive it.  I'm sorry the info I've
given for these publications is a bit sketchy - I can get more detailed
info if you like.  In any case all are advertised Practical Classics or
Triumph World magazines.

There are also some web resources that could be useful.  Check out

http://www.team.net/sol/
http://www.oslonett.no/home/egilk/t2000.htm

and the Vintage Triumph Register pages (the bookmark for which I seem to
have lost)

I hope the above is of use and that I haven't just told you what you knew
already!

Pat.

Dept. of Chemistry
Massey University