Re: Lucas L549 and L594 questions

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas L549 and L594 questions
From: Andrew Mace <AMACE@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:49:52 +0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Andrew Mace wrote:

> The first question regards the lens for a Lucas L549 lamp such as used
> for taillights for TR2/3, also some obscure BMC cars ;-), etc. Of
> course, the lens normally is red plastic. But I have seen over the years
> two other versions: one is all AMBER...

> ...anyone know where one would find a GREEN, glass, domed lens to fit the
> Lucas L594 lamp (i.e., front and rear signal lamp for TR3A, etc.) It
> appears that green lamps were used to mark the driver's side of cars
> at, for example, Le Mans....

I know you've all been dying to know the answer to this, and I finally
have about as definitive an answer as I'm likely to get -- and from the
"horse's mouth" so to speak.

At the VTR Convention in Albany, NY, Jack Bough, a 45-year employee of
Lucas, gave some tech sessions. BTW, Jack actually was reponsible for
wiring many of the Triumph factory "works" cars, among many other
accomplishments (such as work with Ken Richardson on the BRM cars
pre-Triumph, etc.).

Regarding the L549 amber lenses, Jack seemed to think that these might
have been used as flasher (trafficator) lenses, most likely on some
taxis. Regarding the green L594 lenses, he did not recall seeing them,
but allowed that the Lucas Competitions Dept. might well have done these
at some point, for Le Mans cars. The green lenses definitely were NOT a
normal Lucas item, though. (Darn!)

So, there you have it!

--Andy