GT-6 suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT-6 suspension
From: Thomas J Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 08:15:05 -0800
Cc: phoward@grossmont.k12.ca.us
**there is a question at the end of this if you want to skip ahead.

Well, it seemed like a very long wait.   23 days ago I found that the bushes
on the lower arms of the rear on my '72 GT-6, Mk3 were gone.   I took both
sides down and cleaned out the dust that once was a bushing.  I also found
that the arm it self was just a bit out of shape.   I was able to reform it
with a custom jig and a 10 ton hydrolic press.   The camber should be equal
on both sides and the Rotoflex's now do not take quite as much of a flex.

Now the 23 days.   I order a new bush kit from John Kipping by FAX.  He has
always been so fast that I anticipated that I would be back on the road an
the end of the next week.  Sorry.   This order took what really was a normal
amount of time instead of being very quick.   Even though the package was
marked to go Air Express.

Since I was going to be under the car anyway I ordered new top ball joints
for the front as well as a new front wheel bearing (the left was tight but
rough.)

Yesterday a got all the parts and just about 90 minutes later was out in the
dark on the test drive.  I don't know if it is just that I have been driving
my 1992 Oldsmobile 98 water craft for the last month but the now Triumph
felt very tight and pointed much better than I remember.

**Now the question.

Should there be any kind of lube at the wheel end of the lower arm in a
Rotoflex suspension?  I could not find any referance to lube in the Bentley
book.  So all I put in there were the plastic bushes and water seals with
one great big bolt.

(It is not too late, I could take it down and do the right thing if there is
something to be done.

Thank you for the support.

Tom Howard
'72 GT6