Re: '72 TR6 Questions

To: 0005419627@mcimail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '72 TR6 Questions
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 10:51:49 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-30 19:24:22 EST, 0005419627@mcimail.com (Bill
Georgas) writes:

>I've been lurking on the list for a while, and have been seriously
>considering a '72 TR6.
>
>I have a couple of specific questions/concerns I'd like to bounce off
>the group:
>
>-  Oil Pressure seems to run about 35-40 once the engine is warm.
>I've heard about 50 is better, any suggestions?

You didn't mention if this was at idle or at speed.  35-40 PSI at idle is
good.  Early TR6's typically run 20-30 PSI at idle warm.  And 50-70 at speed.
 Later models have an uprated oil pump and enjoy higher oil pressure.

>-  The car is running a little rich, and seems to hestitate/misfire
>from about 2800RPM to 3500RPM.  Really strong beyond that, idles pretty
>smooth.  I would think the carbs (they've been rebuilt) need some
>work/re-sync.

These kinds of problems are easy to fix.  Resetting the carbs is relatively
easy and if the car has a lot of miles the needles may be worn. New needles
are not expensive.  Also check the ignition system.  If the spark is weak it
could cause missfire at certain running conditions.

> Thoughts?

I try to avoid having thoughts.  It only gets me into trouble. .)

Dave