Thrust washers & bolts questions

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thrust washers & bolts questions
From: Bob Sykes <103110.1323@compuserve.com>
Date: 31 Mar 96 10:19:27 EST
Worldly Scions,

I've been poking around inside the bottom end of a motor
again, and this has presented a couple of puzzlers.

I replaced the thrust washers with new.  The old ones
were not worn out in the way I have seen them before.
(worn down to the copper colour substrate)
These had some little 'crater' like areas where the top
layer of material had flaked away.  Has anyone seen this,
or know if it's normal /unusual /cause for concern?
Crankshaft endfloat was within spec. w/ the old thrust washers.

Question 2:
The (new) main bearing cap bolts I have been supplied with
are normal 'hardware store type' (zinc?) plated bolts.  They
are the proper strength rating, but I'm apprehensive about
using them (because of the plating) inside a motor.

Any net wisdom would be much appreciated.

Bob Sykes   -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires -  --    }-0-----0->