Re: Old cars, old people??

To: rorr@eagle.wbm.ca (Rodney Orr), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old cars, old people??
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:16:26 -0800
At 11:10 PM 3/28/96 -0600, Rodney Orr wrote:

>I'm guessing (based only upon my own preferences) that when someone gets
>around to owning a "collectable", the choice is probably  a function of what
>was cool at a certain time in their life - usually their teenage years.
>Thats why soon after hitting 40, I "needed" a TR6.  Another guess I have is
>that the many current TR2/3 owners may now be pushing 60 and many TR4/4A and
>AH 3000 people are in their 50's.  Does this "rule" also apply to the Spit &
>GT6 owners out there?
>
>Care to start an informal survey about correlating car and owner ages?
>
>Rod.   '70 TR6   CC55899L      (Built when I was 18.)

Rod
I think your theory is essentually correct for new cars that seem highly
desirable to people in their teens and early 20s but there is also a second
wave that factors in popular affordable used cars.

For example, fourties and earlier cars became popular in the fifties as hot
rod & custom cars.  People without a lot of money could afford to buy them
& hang some parts & a fancy paint job on them.  In the mid sixties, the
55-57 Chevy became affordable to the monied late teen and to people in
their early 20s starting out.  These got the hot rod treatment and became
desirable cars.

SO

People buy cars that were new and exclusive when they were in their teens
and early 20s.  Some will go for nastolgia and buy one like their parents
had or replace their first car.  Then some people will go after the "hot"
used cars that marked you as part of the in group when you were in your
teens and early 20s and couldn't afford one.

I think you can follow this in car values.  Cars that were desirable when
new but didn't enjoy a second popularity among the "youth culture" get a
price bump when the people who always wanted one gets into their late 30s
and the price stays up untill a large number of these peole stop driving.
Then the price slowly slides down to an inbetween level.  Cars that were
popular twice will get two price peaks.  The first will emphisize pure
stock new looking cars, and the second will prize the configuration most
popular configuration during its second popularity.

Just an observation

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com   <- NOTE NEW ADDRESS

Celebrating my tenth year on Usenet/Internet