Re: radios

To: marshall katzman <mkatzman@email.njin.net>
Subject: Re: radios
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:37:59 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, marshall katzman wrote:

> How were factory installed radios situated in a TR 3?

Some might debate this point, but strictly speaking there were no
"factory-installed" radios in the TR3. There was a SMITHS Radiomobile
kit for the TR2/3, comprised of a stand/mount with speaker built in;
this was designed for one or perhaps several different SMITHS
Radiomobile units. However, I suspect that this might not have been all
that common in the United States, as I've only seen one such mount over
the years.

Dealer-installed radios of many varieties were common, many simply
handing off the dash somewhere or other, and many incorporating the
speaker in the radio chassis.

Point of speculation: the pre-60,000 TR body had an opening on the right
side footwell that, to me, always looked perfect for housing a large
radio speaker. Anyone care to elaborate/debunk?

> Or, should I keep listening to a portable transistor radio or better yet no
> radio...just the engine's sound?

That'll do it for me in a TR!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *