RE: Monza exhaust - and GT6/TR6

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: RE: Monza exhaust - and GT6/TR6
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 96 21:02:53 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Hey Tony
>
>Thanks for your reply. About difference - well, my GT/TR6 engine is in the
>machine shop to get fixed from a broken valve -  it was broken when I bought
>it. However, even with a compression of around 60 on one cylinder (and the
>rest around 190) there was a great deal of differences, so I am very anxious
>to get it back. Does it ad any power to put on the Monza system, or is just
>for the noise ;-)?. But then again, by GT6+ has the UE engine with a rated
>output of only around 80 hp...
>
>Looking forward to hear how well you can get your car to go. Didn't you
>already have a top-tuned GT6 that beats Mustangs, etc.? Are you going to put
>175 Carbs on it - or maybe even Webers?
>
>Michael

Michael,
 Yeah, I got a honkin' little 68, but as you have learned, one is never
enough and if the second or third is faster, it's even better.
 The Monza (or any system)works best behind headers. It's hard to say how
much of an improvement you'll get, but it will be there. The only thing I
could possibly imagine that would improve any system would be larger
diameter pipes or splitting to duals from the collector.
 My 68 has 3 in. pipe from the headers to the "y" in the exhaust pipe tips.
 The "y" makes it look like duals and it sounds great, but I am seriuosly
thinking about going to 2 in pipe and running duals. The biggest problem
here is there is no good place to hang the pipes.
As it is, the 3 in pipe runs along the frame and under the edge of the
tranny. I'm not real crazy about this arrangement, but it has to be for
the moment and at a tremendous sacrifice of ground clearence. I barely
have 4inches between the pipe and the road.
 My engine is at the machine shop as well. It's being bored .020 and the
head and block milled so I can run a steel high comp. head gasket.
 The valve seats were actually surfaced on the head. I had these bored
and resized. Going to use Chev. exhaust valves since they are all the same
size now.
 I have checked prices on the hard parts, and as promised, Didk Burger at
British Parts has everyone beat. I'll be sending him an order for
pistons, bearings, etc. pretty soon.
 Let me know how it feels when you get it back together.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###