Re: Oil Pan/Turn Signal

To: 74741.2020@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pan/Turn Signal
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 00:12:57 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-21 21:03:06 EST, 74741.2020@compuserve.com (Neil
Beasley) writes:

>Hello all,
>
>The turn signal arm needed replacing on my 76 TR 6, which sounded simple
>enough.
>The Bentley book says to pull the switch wiring through the steering column
>and
>remove the switch--carefully. The guy who wrote this never did it, I'm
>convinced. And, that sounds like the easy part. Threading the new wires
>through
>this column sounds like pushing a wet noodle through the eye of a needle.
>Have
>any of you done this? Do you have any tricks which makes it easier to get
the
>switch out and the new wires back in(like removing the steering wheel or
>ignition key or something else I haven't thought of)?

I've repaced two turn signal switches so far.  On one of them I loosened all
the steering shaft mounting bolts at the dash and pulled out the "tube",
installed the wires, and replaced the "tube" and tightened up all of the
loosened fasteners.  On the other one I unsoldered the wires from the old
switch and soldered them to the new switch in situ.  The second method was
less work but soldering the wires to the switch is tricky.

>Second question. The DPO must have tightened the oil pan drain plug with a
>hammer wrench. I had to put it on the rack and use a 12" crescent to get it
>off.
>Then, I found the plug to be a pipe plug (no gasket surface) instead of a
>typical American type plug with a gasket surface. Which is normal for a TR
6?

Yes it is a pipe plug, unlike what american cars use.  But there is no reason
to tighten it that much.  We must have the same DPO.  When I bought my 71 it
had the same problem.  Some people think of torque and money in the same way
- more is better.

Dave (my car sat for 3 years, too.)