Spitfire Engine compartment valance stuff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Engine compartment valance stuff
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 14:36:02 PST
Cc: self <alanco@sybase.com>
Hi folks,

I'm finally getting around to replacing that splash guard/airflow valance
thingy in
the engine compartment.  The one on the RHS (carb/manifold) side of the engine
was
destroyed by a DPO (Destructive Present Owner).  Seems to me the lack of it may
have
something to do with tendencies to overheat in traffic, since airflow won't be
right.  My theory is that the extra heat swirling back up from around the
downpipe
is affecting the carb.

You can't buy these things, so I was wondering if anyone had fabricated one.
The
funky cardboard stuff is hard to duplicate.  The closest thing I've found is
asphalt-impregnated felt, which is a roofing material (goes under the
shingles).
It's fire-resistant or retardant or something.  In any case, it don't burn like
gas,
and it seems about the right stiffness and strength.

Anybody had any experience trying to fab these things?  I'm figuring felt with
aluminum strips to support it and hold it to the frame.  Hopefully it shouldn't
look
too ridiculous if I'm careful.

Thoughts?

AC