Re: Spitfire Engine compartment valance stuff

To: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Engine compartment valance stuff
From: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:41:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Alan Coleman wrote:
>snip<

> I'm finally getting around to replacing that splash guard/airflow valance
>thingy in the engine compartment.

>snip<

The funky cardboard stuff is hard to duplicate.  The closest thing I've found
is asphalt-impregnated felt, which is a roofing material (goes under the
shingles).

Alan, that should work, but it might smell a little funny when it gets hot
(do you have a cat. converter?).  I did the ones on a past spit by using the
backing cardboard from blueprint paper from work, which was the correct
thickness, and spray painting it 20 (yes, twenty) times with black gloss
enamel to waterproof/finish it.  Worked very nicely, and actually won some
shows with the car until I totalled it.  I don't know where to get similar
thickness cardboard, however...

Jamie Palmer