Re: Piston size, bore size, Spitfire Mk3/4

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piston size, bore size, Spitfire Mk3/4
From: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com (Pat Willems (@chong))
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 07:36:15 CST
Cc: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com
Larry wrote:
>Should I not have the cylinders bored out until I have the new pistons in
>hand, so the shop can mic them and bore the engine out accordingly?

Yes, a machine shop will not bore out your engine until you give them the
oversize pistons you will be using.

>The Bentley manual shows two different bore sizes, one for a type F piston
>and one for a type G piston. Both of these are smaller than the bore size
>given in the VB catalog, which says it's 2.902".

I never did figure out this type F and type G piston stuff.  I just
ordered the pistons for my 1296 and gave them to the machinist and he
went to town.

>I also discovered that the cam lobes were scuffed, even badly scratched.
>Can the machine shop fix this or do I have to buy a new camshaft?

Take it to a machine shop that you trust and get their opinion.  It may
be OK with a regrind but you can always order a reground cam from one
of the vendors and return yours as a core.  Some vendors also sell new
cams.

Something to remember if you are ordering new valves is does your 1296
have the larger intake valves?  If so, VB will send you the wrong size
intakes.  They could not understand this when I explained it to them
and thus I ordered my valves from TRF.

Regards,
Pat Willems
'72 Spit Mk IV (1296)