Re: Piston size, bore size, Spitfire Mk3/4

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: Piston size, bore size, Spitfire Mk3/4
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 13:53:05 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com wrote:

> shop this afternoon. I'm going .020 over on the cylinders, but where I'm
> confused is .020 over WHAT?
>
> Should I not have the cylinders bored out until I have the new pistons in
> hand, so the shop can mic them and bore the engine out accordingly?

Hi Larry, I would be surprised if a machine shop would take your block
for machining without the pistons - wait until you have the pistons in
hand and take them in with the block.

> I also discovered that the cam lobes were scuffed, even badly scratched.
> Can the machine shop fix this or do I have to buy a new camshaft?

A good machine shop should be able to help you with that decision.  As a
bit of an aside, if you have the block that has cam bearings, hot-tanking
the block will damage the bearings and they should be replaced - something
else to order and take to the machine shop!

Good luck,
Mike