TR6 Conversion LHD to RHD

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Conversion LHD to RHD
From: "Robinson, SqnLdr David" <ROBINSDA@slsmtp.mcclellan.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 11:59:00 PST
Encoding: 31 TEXT
G'Day to all,

     I am an Australian on exchange in the US for two years (which ends in
December 1996).   I bought a TR6 (1973 with 1970 motor) not long after
arrival and have done a lot of work to it  and am now contemplating taking
it back to Australia with me.   These cars become addictive after a while.
 Unfortunately Australia requires that ALL their vehicles be Right Hand
Drive (RHD).   This leads to my problem - converting the car to RHD.

     I have limited funds and would attempt to do as much of the conversion
myself (I have some mechanical ability - but cannot weld) here in the US.
   I have contacted Rimmer Bros in the UK on a number of occasions (but no
response) because I believe they have a basic conversion kit (do not know
what is in their kit).   I have also looked in various USA supplier
catalogues (Moss, TRF, Victoria British) and they list lots of RHD part
numbers but do not stock these items (for obvious reasons).   This gets a
little confusing after a while as to what actually has to be replaced when
you do a RHD conversion.  The main problem area appears to be the firewall
(the rest  appears to be some parts swapping???) - do I have to replace it
or is there some other way to change all those holes (particularly for the
steering column).

  Is there anyone out there who has done this type of conversion who would
be willing to give me some advice (particularly the parts that are required,
problems encountered, parts suppliers, etc, etc.).

Any help greatly appreciated.

David Robinson
1973 TR6