Dumb suspension questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dumb suspension questions
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 10:23:47 -0700 (MST)
Cc: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
A couple of questions from a front suspension neophyte (re:
Spit/Herald/GT6 et al):

The shop manual says to separate the upper balljoints with
Triumph tool SG166-stroke-42J-code-name-enigma-GR3, also known as
Hawker Hurricane rudder alignment tool RAF-what-ho-squiffy.  Are
they basically referring to a "pickle fork"?  I've heard these
can be remarkably ineffective.  How would you wizardly lot go
about separating a steering upper balljoint?

I've got the shock/spring sets removed and standing in a corner
of my carport, pending arrival of new bushes.  Is it a bad idea
to leave this set off the car with only the shocks holding the
spring down?  Are the shocks going to give up on holding the
spring back and explode, throwing the upper plate through the
roof to be caught on amateur video by a guy playing with his
dog in the park up the street and end up on some syndicated
TV show as a UFO sighting?

Suspensefully yours,
- Dan Parslow
djp@alpha.sunquest.com

  "That's it, Gromit!  We'll go where there's CHEESE!"