Spitfire Top Mounts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Top Mounts
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 96 22:11:02 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

I need some assistance on the manner in which the convert. top
mounts on my 64 Spit 4.

In all of the photos in my Haynes, Bentley and Autocar manuals it
shows that the top bolts to the body just behind the door jambs.
And indeed, the top frame has a mounting plate on each side with
holes drilled in it for bolts to go through and bolt to  . . . .
well, errrr, . . . .  something that does not appear to be on my
car.

What I have on each side right behind the door jamb is a vertical
tubular bracket, about 3" to 4" long with a diameter of about 3/4"
and a heavy spring mounted to it.  The top was not mounted to the
car when I bought it so I was never certain how it mounted.  The
tubular brackets look as though they would accept some form  of a
rod that would slide into place and then be secured by the heavy
springs which have a hook on each end.  An aftermarket hardtop
came with the car but it to was not mounted to the body and there
is no evidence of any type of rods on the hardtop.  BTW, the
tubular brackets appear to be original, not a spot welded add-on.
There does not appear to be any flat place for the trapezoid
shaped mounting plate on the top itself to mount to the body at
this point.

The best analogy I can think of is if you look under the cowl of a
Mk I, II, or III Spitfire you will see that the cowl is a separate
stamping from the body, and bolts in place through the use of a
rod at each end which inserts through  .  .  .  .  ta dah!  .  .
.  . an angled  tubular bracket about 4" long and 3/4" in
diameter.  So, what's the deal here?  Why do all the photos show
the top bolting to the body behind the door jamb but do not show a
tubular bracket?  How exactly does the top mount to the body on a
Mk I Spit?  Where do the bolts go?  Is the bracket for the
hardtop?  I am certainly stunned by the fact that none of my
manuals make clear this seemingly important feature.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)