Carb Problems TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Carb Problems TR6
From: dwilliam@mail.educ.gov.bc.ca (David Williams)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:24:46 -0800
I'm just fininshing up a major renovation of a 74 TR6 and have run into
some gasoline problems.  When I drive the car then shut it off, the carbs
start spitting gasoline out with varying intensities.  Sometimes
nothing....all the way to sometimes when both carbs have literally poured
gasoline out.  This first manifest itself when I started the car for a
monthly warm-up and noted huge amounts of smoke etc. and found that the
entire crankcase had been filled with gasoline.  After an immediate
shutdown and a subsequent oil change etc. the car proceeded to repeat the
process.

I have checked the fuel pump and done a rebuild on it.  This does not occur
when i disconnect the fuel line from the carbs, so i'm zeroing in on the
carbs as the source of the problem.  When I bought this car, it was a wreck
and I have got the body, interior, and drive train into superb shape.

My suspicions are that a carb rebuild, with new jets and a proper float
adjustment will be the fix I need to take the final steps in turning this
thing into a daily driver but I wanted to check with the list just incase
there's something I'm missing.

One more bit of info....the previous owner had removed all of the emmission
control stuff in what must have been an attempt to 'soup' it up, so I'm
still sorting out vacuum lines etc.

Any comments welcomed.

*******************************
  David J.R. Williams, Director
  Curriculum Branch
  dwilliam@mail.educ.gov.bc.ca
  Fax: (604)356-2316         Phone: (604)356-2317

  Province of British Columbia
  Ministry of Education, Skills, & Training
  620 Superior St.,
  Victoria, B.C.
  V8V 2M4