Re: Triumph research ...

To: Chris Bullock <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph research ...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 16:19:55 -0800 (PST)
Cc: KVacek@aol.com, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Earlier, Karl had asked:

> >How much is the charge for this info., and for what years is it available ??
>

>From text I downloaded last September:

...WOULD YOU LIKE THE DETAILS OF YOUR VEHICLE FROM THE ORIGINAL
FACTORY PRODUCTION RECORDS ? ....

Austin         cars and commercial vehicle, most models     1945-69
Austin Healey  Longbridge or Abingdon built                 1953-71
               (not Warwick built 100 'S')
Land Rover     Series I, II, IIa, IIb and III               1948-70
Metropolitan   Nash, Hudson, Austin                         1953-61
Mini           Austin, Morris, Mini Cooper etc              1959-69
MG             from start of TF Midget & ZA Magnette        1953-80
               (not TC, TD, YA, YT, YB models)
Morris         cars and some light commercials, most models 1928-71
               (not Morris Commercial)
Range Rover    all models                                   1969-79
Riley          from start of Pathfinder model               1953-69
               (not 1.5 & 2.5 litre models)
Rover          all models                                   1945-80
Standard       cars and light commercials                   1945-63
Triumph        all models                                   1946-80
Vanden Plas-   also records of many earlier Vanden Plas     1959-80
 Princess      bodied cars
Wolseley       most models (gap from 1930-1949)   1901-30 & 1949-74

The certificates cost 20 pounds sterling (or US $40.00), payment must
be made with application.

WE REGRET CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
[NOTE: nice to see that this apparently has changed since last September!]

To obtain your certificate, please send your fee and quote the make
model and chassis/car number of your vehicle to the following address:

British Motor Industry Heritage Trust
Archive Department,
Heritage Motor Centre,
Banbury Road,                       Telephone UK + 44 926 641188
Gaydon.                             30 minutes by car from
Warwick, CV35 0BJ.                   Birmingham, Oxford, and
ENGLAND.                             Stratford-upon-Avon

> On another note, a post earlier in reference to red line tires in general
> said that they aren't too exciting unless you are interested in concours
> competition!  IMHO I think those things make a huge difference on the car.

That was yours truly. I probably should stay out of it, as I'm not a TR6
owner. However, for really enjoying your car, just as there are better
tires nowadays for a Spitfire Mk.3 than 5.20 x 13 "cross-ply Dunlop Gold
Seals, there are better tires available for the TR6 beyond the Michelin
redlines. The other tires, though, don't have the "look."

YMMV, and I'll shut up now about TR6 tires,

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *