Re: Goodyear Red Bands [was Re: Triumph research ...]

To: Chris Bullock <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
Subject: Re: Goodyear Red Bands [was Re: Triumph research ...]
From: Max Vet <max.vet@tip.nl>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 18:47 MET
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
At 14:27 11-03-96 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Chris Bullock wrote:
>
>> Well, I got the research back on my 73 TR6.  Very nice certificate with
>> plenty of information, including car number, engine number, body number,
>> destination dealer, optional equipment included, int. and ext. color,
>> manufacture date and shipment date, etc.  Mine states that my car was
>> shipped with Goodyear red band tyres.  Anybody know what these are?  Similar
>> to the Michelin X?  Just curious.
>
>The Goodyear was the "standard equipment" tire; I believe it was the
>G800 model or similar. The Michelin was the "optional equipment" tire.
>Neither is a terribly exciting tire unless your primary goal is Concours
>judging. It's just that the Michelins pretty much have been available
>all these years that they have become "The Standard" for the TR6. I
>think the Goodyears went out of production many years ago.

Hi

I know a little about the tires. The Goodyear red bands as well as the
Michelin X tires have a 1/2" red line on the side of the tire, much like the
white wall tires used in the states during the 50's.

I read somewere else on the net that there are currently 3 types of red
liners available in the states today. The origional Michelin X type, An Avon
type and some other brand I can't recall. The writer suggested one of the
two mentioned here. The Michelin will cost aprox. $ 200. Here in Europ they
are available on special request and are then made by Michelin and called
XAS. But at a huge cost.

Max Vet
'71 TR 6  CC61961L